Sunday, July 26, 2015

Azofra to Granon

Azofra to Granon

In the morning, we would arise and leave Azofra.  It was freezing cold, and I am not sure we saw another pilgrim upon our departure.  We certainly never saw Irma again.  I hope her all the best in this world and the next!

We walked along empty paths, as the camino had become very quiet after Easter.  We entered the suburbs of Ciruena, an eerie place of empty homes and driveways.  It reminded me of a zombie apocolypse, the way the homes marched on and on, and yet there was no sign of habitation.  Many pilgrims would remark on the oddity.

Eventually we made it to Santo Domingo de Calzada around lunchtime.  The cathedral in this town celebrates the Miracle Chicken.  Leo and I bought tickets into the cathedral, and while Leo heard the chicken cluck twice, I missed it both times.  This was another instance on the camino where I felt God was talking to Leo, and ignoring me.  I started to think maybe my reason for walking was for the sole purpose of introducing Leo to God. 










----Just a side note, looking at our entries to Facebook at this time, Leo and I were both into heavy thoughts of family, God and life.  It is only natural that I would start to think of everything as a sign to improve Leo’s faith. -----

Afterward we hit a café, and there were Kay, Maria and Jean, having lunch and a pastry.  They said Kay’s feet were full of too many blisters to continue, and we all said our goodbyes.

Leo and I continued on to Granon.   We checked into the church, our lodging would be mats upon the floor.  The shower revealed no hot water.  However, several things happened.  I ran into a Hospitalera that I adored from the movie “Six Ways to Santiago”.  I grabbed a quick hug.  Second, we attended Mass, and afterward received a pilgrim’s blessing, the first of our pilgrimage.  Third, we helped prepare a wonderful communal dinner with the many pilgrims staying in the church.  Attending were Susanne, the Family Fearn, John and Penny from Australia, Imca from the Netherlands, Francesca from Italy, and Tomas, who we had not seen since Day One in St Jean Pied de Port.  It was amazing to see him again.   Also,  a man and his girlfriend from Spain and Peru, respectively.  They were volunteers along the way, and they volunteered this evening.









I don’t know, I could be wrong, but I think Fran, Monica and the young hospitalera in Granon went outside and got stoned.  All I know is that after dinner, I helped John and Jim wash dishes, and then went to a famous, but secret sanctuary to sing Kum by- Ya.  It should have been a spiritual moment, but I was too invested in the pot-heads who I thought were ruining my camino.

On the bright side, I finally spoke with the Family Fearn.  (Leo had been talking for days, but I only said hello from time to time.)




No comments:

Post a Comment